We are now accepting submissions from artists who are interested in participating in The Show Gallery Lowertown’s 6th annual Co Lab Exhibition and Fundraiser!
What is it? Co Lab is an annual exhibition which pairs professional, self-taught, emerging, or marginalized artists to create a piece of collaborative artwork together as a means of radical inclusion. Artists are matched based on factors like personality, creative style, curiosity toward new mediums, and specific interests.
How does it work? All proceeds from Co Lab artwork sales go to support the gallery (e.g. providing exhibition opportunities, classes, other supports for artists with disabilities). Most supplies are provided by the gallery and exhibition sponsors. We also accept donations!
Did we mention Bill Murray? Each year this exhibition is juried by Bill Murray. Finished pieces are uploaded to The Show Gallery’s Co Lab blog, where Bill has the chance to read artist statements and view high quality documentation of the artworks before selecting his favorite piece. During the opening reception a pair of artists will receive the Bill Murray’s Choice Award.
Disclaimer: Bill has been to the gallery and juries this exhibition remotely, however he has yet to attend a Co Lab event in person, but you never know…
- Submission Deadline: Friday February 7th at Midnight CST
- Notification to artists: Friday February 14th
- Exhibition Dates: June 4th – July 26th
- Reception: Saturday June 6th, from 5-8 PM CST
Co Lab WORKSHOPS*
Artists who are selected to participate in the Co Lab exhibition will be expected to be able to attend Co Lab workshops at The Show Gallery Lowertown, where supplies and in-progress artworks are stored.
Set workshop dates are every other Saturday, from 12 AM-3 PM at The Show Gallery Lowertown (346 N. Sibley Street, St. Paul, MN): February 22, March 7, March 21, April 4, April 18, May 2, May 16.
* Select weekday workshop dates will be available, scheduled as needed. Please consider your potential availability as you decide to apply for this project, as artists should expect to create most of their work during these biweekly and select weekday workshops.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES Artworks submitted will be used for the consideration of creating complementary artist pairings. Artists accepted into this exhibition will not display previously made artwork, but instead will create new work together with their Co Lab partner.
- Submit up to 5 examples of previous artwork.
- Accepted artwork formats include .jpeg, word doc, PDF, link to youtube or vimeo.
- Artworks of all mediums considered, including 2D artwork, sculpture, textile, video, writing, music, and performance.
TO SUBMIT Fill out the Co Lab Questionnaire https://forms.gle/U7SZWrVGh5YBv7PU9
This submission process helps us match artists to create pairings that are based on mutual interests, goals, and personality.
ABOUT THE COORDINATOR
Co Lab Coordinator Chloe Russell is a multimedia and textile artist with a BFA from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. She works at Fresh Eye Arts, a progressive art studio supporting artists with disabilities, formerly known as MSS Creative Arts.
Have questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org